Saturday, March 29, 2008

WHAT GOES AROUND (a haibun)

The retirement community where I live is uniquely affordable for those of us less privileged. Still nothing can be or is wasted. A thrift shop on the grounds does a brisk business in items no longer needed by community residents. Its profits support the classes and cultural events offered by the Residents Association. Two residents trade a small refrigerator and a full-size one, the small one ultimately a gift to me. I purchase a microwave from another resident. Tonight, I carry a fan back to my room bought from yet another resident, thinking not only is necessity the mother of invention, but of conservation and caring.

the fan
goes round and round
my heart warms

4 comments:

Eva Yaa Asantewaa said...

And may the circle be unbroken!

Blessings,
Eva :-)

Jim Tantillo said...

nice one.

John McDonald said...

excellent round-off haiku
john

Reihaisha said...

As a former thrift store worker, I am thrilled for you. I got the best deals of my life in thrift stores.
Hazel